Win2K stability (was RE: [thechat] Bill Gates)

Joel Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Sat Jul 27 10:30:01 CDT 2002

> At 01:14 AM 27-07-02, Martin Burns wrote:
> >It's true, my WinXP machines are down to a crash a month and
> my Win2k
> >(work laptop) is about once every couple of weeks.
>
> Well, other than the times I've shut the PC down or rebooted
> after a software installation, my last kernel crash was close
> to 8 months ago. The beast *can* be tamed, mates.

Hey, Martin, I'd love to hear any details about your Win2K crashes. I've
*tried* to bake a coupla my 2K boxes to see what it takes, and just can't
find the combination of assaults that work.

I use MS stuff all day and all night, because of who I share my work with,
but I'm not an MS bigot by a long shot. I am, however, really impressed with
Win2K. I manage over 200 boxes at work, and have a few 2Ks at home with my
98SEs and my Mac (soon to be joined by my first ever Linux box - h'ray!)

We just don't see real 'crashes' at work. Worst problem is IE flaking, and
needing to be killed. But in all my experience with Win2K, I've only seen
two real genuine OS deaths. I used to make 98SE die a dozen times a day, so
it's not like I'm particularly easy on a machine.

joel