[thechat] Fighter plane's laser may blind civilians

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Mon Jul 29 17:55:01 CDT 2002

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Erika Meyer wrote:

> I deleted the first part of this email, the part where I try to beat
> aardvark's trollometer settings...
>
> ...cause you know I don't want Bush/Ashcroft to come after me, you
> know, a year or so down the road after they have managed to roll back
> civil liberties far enough to begin the purges.  If they can get the
> military on the streets acting like cops, they'll be ready...
> http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2002/03/15/martial_law/index_np.html
> and I'll have to run away and hide what's left of the wilderness.
> http://www.nrdc.org/bushrecord/default.asp

I'm sure you could claim asylum in some liberal regime. Just not the UK
(although not being a 'real' foreigner would help).

This is the country, after all, where all asylum seekers are considered
bogus, and where the system has placed Nigeria on the white-list of
countries where no-one can genuinely claim to suffer oppression *cough*Ken
Saro-Wiwa*cough*

Cheers
Martin

Also starring in fine email     | "Names, once they are in common use, quickly
productions such as             | become mere sounds, their etymology being
martin at easyweb.co.uk            | buried, like so many of the earth's marvels,
martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com | beneath the dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie