[thechat] Fighter plane's laser may blind civilians

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue Jul 30 16:46:01 CDT 2002

Wild mammals that survive best around human encroachment are
scavenger types. In the US: crows, pigeons, mice, rats... and if
there's a bit of brush around: coyotes, raccoons, turkey vultures...

Larger predator/scavengers, like the California condor... don't do so
hot... Griz Bears and wolves pretty much extinct from continental US
though 100 yrs ago they were still pretty abundant.  Black bears and
Mountain lions have constant run-ins with idiotic people in
California... especially bears.

They shot a 180 lb mountain lion just a quarter mile down the road
from my folks home; it was eating neighbor's goats... but there are
tons of less aggressive lions and bears in the woods behind our
house.  Mountain lions usually are very shy, but have problems in
those places because there's less and less habitat and they need lots
of roaming space and deer to munch on.  The bears can get by on
berries and grubs...

City people (and rednecks) are really dumb about wildlife.  The bear
comes to eat the dog food on the porch and instead of bringing their
dog food in at night, (duh) they get the gun and wound the thing...
or freak out or whatever.

So with people that dumb, how do we survive?
Or maybe the jury's still out on that one... I think it is.

I've seen a few bears but never saw a mountain lion (my folks
neighbors see them regularly).  Once I came across fresh lion tracks
(alongside deer tracks)... spooked the hell out of me, because I was
alone in the woods with my baby in a cradle-board... I went home,
then.

you know that if a mountain lion wants a piece of you... you're S.O.L....
OTOH attacks are rare.  Deadly, but rare.