[thechat] Re: corned beef or bacon? (was RE: Hijacked... Re: [thechat] Fighter plane's laser may blind civ ilians)

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Wed Jul 31 10:53:00 CDT 2002

At 8:04 AM -0700 7/31/02, Joel Canfield wrote:
>--
>>     I'm not sure. We have stuff we call corned beef, which is
>>  a sort of re-constituted beef-and-flour mix, with other, more
>>  dubious bits in. Sort of like high-quality dog food, now that
>>  I come to think about it, although I quite like it. Is that
>>  what you'd call corned beef?
>
>Nope. It's brined, or pickled, with spices, usually pepper and bay. This
>article makes quite a few interesting statements I can't substantiate.
>
>http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/pubs/cornbeef.htm

I love good corned beef.

The stuff you're talking about sounds like "scrapple" - variety meats
pressed together with some sort of binding agent (like corn meal,
flour, etc.) and sold in brick form. Nasty. Makes haggis sound very
lovely indeed (which it is, actually).

I think modern American bacon is taken from the belly region.
Canadian bacon is from the back - it's actually a smoked loin, I
believe.  Here's how to make American bacon :

http://www.foodtv.com/foodtv/recipe/0,6255,19663,00.html

bob

--

bob davis