[thechat] Fwd: FC: FBI bumbling ruins chance for terrorist "cyber-sting"

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Wed Jul 31 10:57:00 CDT 2002

At 10:27 AM -0500 7/31/02, Ben Dyer wrote:

>>    FBI agents struggled to find someone with enough technical know-how to
>>    set up the sting. By the time they did, the opportunity was lost as
>>    militant Islamic Web users figured out the site was a decoy, said
>>    Messner of Ocean City, Md.

I've seen this in action. I had an FBI agent who was calling me on a
somewhat regular basis to ask questions about stuff like this. He was
a good guy, but getting someone in the FBI who knew how the internet
works was kind of like pulling teeth - it was easier to call me. He
had taken a case that we sent to the FBI once - kiddie porn stuff.
They did eventually prosecute though.

bob
--

bob davis