[thechat] list etiquette

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Tue Aug 13 14:52:28 CDT 2002

---- Original Message ----
From: "rudy" <foo>
To: "thechat" <thechat at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 7:40 PM
Subject: [thechat] list etiquette

> not to pick on anyone in particular...
>
> would you please trim your posts to this list to ensure you do not
> divulge email addresses

since this is obviously an archive issue, why doesn't someone have a look at
pipermail on leo to see if inline email addresses can be munged in the
archive?  If I get the time, I'll have a nosey at it later.  Alternately, if
it's privacy you're concerned about, don't use an email address for mailing
lists that you don't want to be indexed by such email archives.
Alternately, if it's spam you're concerned about, and I think that's what
you're getting at from your later comments, get some decent spam filterage
installed - I personally use spamassassin, and I see 1 or 2 spams a day at
most, instead of about 30 or 40.

> for example, please do not start your post by echoing headers --

... which can be useful if, as I've encountered on other lists, posters
routinely change the subject line and don't use a MUA which respects the
usenetlike References: header, meaning threads are broken, and inline
subject references can be useful to help piece back the conversation.

> [snip]
>
> if you would browse the public archives, you will see that email
> addresses in general are hidden by the archive software
>
> there is no need to reveal them in the posts themselves

You're actually railing on a default setting of Outlook Express, something
which cannot be modified without third-party software - I personally use
OE-QuoteFix, which I think was mentioned on thechat a while back, and allows
modification of the 'what i'm replying to' string, but I personally prefer
the OE method of quoting.

> trimming unnecessary stuff is also just plain courteous
>
> rarely is it necessary to include an entire previous post in order to
> establish the context for your reply

Since you *are* actually picking on me specifically while generally
commenting on list etiquette, I'll reply to this by saying I forgot to trim
my reply to your 5k post suitably before hitting send.

> AtDhVaAnNkCsE  for your cooperation
>

> rudy
> hoping against hope that his new email address remains spam-free

It won't.  They never do.

Incidentally, your rudy nine three seven at rogers dot com address you use
for thechat shows up on a google search, two results of which from thechat
archive are from you - one is indexed because the pipermail settings weren't
modified to hide posters addresses in the to: field, and the second is you
mentioning your address inline with the message content.  Just FYI.  :)

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________  "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \  for Sega." -- Brodie, 'Mallrats'