[thechat] WHOIS & public info?

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Thu Aug 15 10:56:01 CDT 2002

Hugh wrote:

>  > And thinking about it further, I, a person who makes it a practice
>>  not to make my home address public, when I look up my domain info, I
>>  see my (previous) home address listed.
>
>And you haven't updated it?

hell no.  Actually, I may update with my work address.  I don't have
a PO box and I prefer not to be so easy to find.  Previously, I'd put
in my street but no numbers, for the same reason.  (I don't recall
what inspired me to give them my real address last time.)

I rely on email for notifications.  Seems to work okay.

>Anyone with two brain cells touching can find this information.

actually, there are tiny spaces between brain cells and messages are
carried by neurotransmitters... I wonder if they touched, would they
short out?

>Public WHOIS is a hot topic in the industry. Answers are not quickly
>coming, but changes may happen. May. Opt-out for some information is
>probably what will happen in the next year or so. May.

Stalkers better stock up on their info now!