[thechat] Auto-Restart

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Thu Aug 15 16:30:10 CDT 2002

---- Original Message ----
From: "Madhu Menon" <webguru at vsnl.net>
To: <thechat at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2002 9:44 PM
Subject: Re: [thechat] Auto-Restart

> At 12:51 AM 16-08-02, Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:
> > At that time I had 6 windows opened.
> > My hard disk is too much stuffed so that it has only several
> > hundred MB free. Does it have anything to with unintentional
> > restart. Any thoughts about Auto-Restart?
>
> If you haven't already done so, download ZoneAlarm from
> www.zonelabs.com NOW and install it. You NEED a firewall to protect
> your PC from intruders.
>
> I know that at least Norton Antivirus scans your floppy by default
> when you shut your PC down, which is probably why you saw your floppy
> drive light on. You can disable this from the control centre. On the
> topic, are your virus definitions up to date?

sounds more like a twitchy/faulty PSU or cables going to/from the PSU to me,
or possibly mains spikes going through an unprotected cable, as opposed to a
software problem.  PCs rarely do a hard reboot unless there's something
physically wrong with them.

I'd be looking at either getting surge protection put in at the mains and
checking all the power cables and the PSU in the PC itself.

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________  "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \  for Sega." -- Brodie, 'Mallrats'