[thechat] Re: 3 chord songs

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Fri Aug 23 11:04:00 CDT 2002

I never saw "Carpool" but I was a bit horrified when just about every
crappy band that wanted to "honor" Joey Ramone chose to cover "I
Wanna Be Sedated"

I just figured the bands could relate, because, you know, they were
musicians, and the song appears to be about feeling insane while
being trucked from show to show.  Or maybe they were just lame and
that's the only song they knew.

I did a couple of Ramones songs at an open mic on acoustic: "I Wanna
Be Well" which is a sure-fire hit, if only because of the lyrics...
turned into a sing along.

and Dee Dee's "Questioningly" which I think is brilliant, constructed
like a diamond.  And it's just heart wrenching, I think.

The form is like this:

verse 1
verse 2
verse 3
verse 4
guitar solo
verse 3
verse 2
verse 1

verses 3 & 4 being most climactic...
also the verses alternate chord structures, reverse back and forth....
it's downright complex, in a way...

which is probably why no one knows about it.

I think it's on "Road To Ruin" (and "All the Stuff" vol II)

Also I love the grammatical constructions:

"Looked at her close
Forced her into view --
yes I said you're a girl
I once may have knew."

My favorite movie w/ Ramones is Rock n' Roll High School.
They were really at their peak.

Damn they were bad.

Erika

William Anderson: