[thechat] Photography help

Beau Hartshorne beau at members.evolt.org
Fri Aug 23 11:36:00 CDT 2002

> What I want to know is how to make my digital pics look this good:
> http://www.simonhoegsberg.com/

Were Simon's photos taken with a digital camera?

I read somewhere that digital cameras have a very deep depth of field.
If I took those pictures with my digital camera, everything in the frame
would have been in focus. Simon's photos would lose a lot of their power
if the leaves on the trees in the background were just as sharp as the
person's eyes in the foreground.

Think about Martha's food photos. Would they still be beautiful if the
background was in perfect focus?

Another important thing is lighting. The camera's flash can ruin a
picture. (I think the flash has ruined your food photos.) Try to take
some of your food shots without the flash, and maybe on a tripod. Go get
some better light from somewhere else.

There are some great articles about digital photography here:

http://www.megapixel.net/ (English -> Articles -> Topics)

Also keep in mind that Simon probably took a few hundred shots and ended
up with the small selection on his site. He probably touched them up in
Photoshop as well. 30 seconds with image->adjust->curves and
filter->unsharp mask (100%, 1, 0) can make any photo look much better.

I bought a 128mb compact flash card. When I go on a trip somewhere, I
can end up with over 500 pictures (1600x1200, JPEG @ 25% or so). One or
two of them might turn out good, and I can help them along with a little
time in Photoshop.

HTH,

Beau