[thechat] Photography help

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Aug 23 12:15:00 CDT 2002

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Scott Dexter wrote:

> [...]

+42 on that. You'll learn how to *exactly* get exposure right using the
Zone system. Although it does take a wee bit of working out, so until
you're used to it, still-lifes and landscapes are a good place to start.

There's a commentary I've read on his picture of a moonrise over a
cemetary where he's recalling that the moon has a luminance of X, and
works out how to place it exactly on Zone 9.

Not that it will be very easy without a real camera, with real stops and
exposure timings...

(It should be pointed out that Adams used a plate camera, with 8x10 inch
negatives or larger, and used apertures of F50 or smaller. Which is why
you can get landscapes with everything from 6 inches to infinity in
perfect focus).

Pinhole cameras are fun too - all you need is a soda can, a hammer and
nail, some fine sandpaper, some black paint, tin-foil, black card,
sellotape and the sharpest, newest pin you can find.

Oh, and photographic paper, developer, fixer and a dark room (needn't be a
real darkroom as long as it can be blacked out, and has water and an
extractor fan. Internal bathrooms are good for this).

Cheers
Martin