[thechat] Photography help

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Aug 23 12:32:00 CDT 2002

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Bob Davis wrote:

> At 6:04 PM +0100 8/23/02, Martin Burns wrote:
> >
> Your sony is cool - what is the pixel density on it?

istr it's a 3MPx. Dunno what that means in terms of density on the CCD.

> I need a
> digicam, but was thinking about the sony DCS-S85 (gotta love Zeiss
> lenses). I think it's in the same price range as your camera.

In the same range now as mine was a year ago. I'd have liked a Zeiss
lensed one, but couldn't afford it.

If I *really* had the money, I'd buy the DSC-F707 just for the
interchangeable lenses and the ability to manually over-ride the
autofocus. I still miss the USM lens on my EOS (which I still
have but the convenience of the digicam wins over waiting for Photo CDs).
Near instant, near silent autofocusing on a known point in the viewfinder,
and you can hold the focus while you re-compose the shot.

But I think the next major imaging product will be a Firewire camcorder.
15 sec clips in MPEG (rather than iMovie-friendly Quicktime) are annoying
me now...

Cheers
Martin