[thechat] Photography help

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Aug 23 18:23:01 CDT 2002

On Sat, 24 Aug 2002, Madhu Menon wrote:

> At 01:57 AM 24-08-02, Ken Kogler wrote:
> >The quickest way to learn photography is to turn off every automatic
> >function your camera has -- focus, aperture, flash, shutter speed, etc.
> >Then all you have to do is make sure your subject looks "good" in the
> >viewfinder.
>
> Ah, is that all?
>
> Thanks for all the great help, you guys. You've all confirmed that my "let
> the freakin' camera handle everything automatically" approach is not just
> flawed, but laughably so. I thought that by pointing the camera straight at
> the food with the flash, I'd get decent pics. Clearly not.

Well yes and no. You'll get clear, bright, in-focus pics. Which for the
vast majority of the consumer camera market is the most important thing.

It's pretty much like having a GUI which prevents you getting near what
your computer is *really* doing, some of which options are vital to the
difference between 'OK' and 'Really Good'. Think of if the only way you
could code a site was with FrontPage themes...

Cheers
Martin