[thechat] hot new pix!!!

javier velasco lists at mantruc.com
Mon Aug 26 08:58:01 CDT 2002

aardvark wrote:

> actually, my favorite way to shoot a self-portrait is with a
> mirror... in fact, i tend to dislike most photos of me, but with a
> nice camera and mirror, i can get a good one:
> http://roselli.org/photos/chimney_bluffs/self_portrait.asp

same happens to me.. whenever i'm being poited at with a camera i get
*very* nervous, and i generally don't like what they look like. but if i
shoot myself at the mirror, i feel much more comfortable. i believe that
what happens is that if i take the pic at the mirror, it's a picture of
my reflection, the same on i see in my mirror every day. but when
someone else takes me a picture, they are shooting at the face i never
see. all of our faces are asymetrical, ones more than the others, my
guess is that makes the difference.

anyway i feel much more comfortable by being in the back of a camera
than being in front of it.

> i still prefer film for real photos, though, which is how that photo
> was taken...

i still also prefer film photos too, they are currently much more
predictable for me, and the SLR camera gives me more control over the
shot. but over time, i'm starting to love the new SONY, with those
manual controls i can get most of what i want to shoot, and the image
quelity is very impressive. i'm amazed by the variety of subtle tones it
can capture.

if any of you is waiting for the blooming desert pics i promissed. it
turns out that we had much more social life than expected this weekend,
so the pages are not ready yet, but the images have been optimized,
we're only working on the identification of each plant species.

Andy Warwick wrote:

> To add to my own email - and to blow my own trumpet a little - here's an
> example of what you *can* do in Photoshop to rescue a photo with a bad color
> cast. (That's like a colour cast, only American...)
>
>     <http://homepage.mac.com/creed_nmd/PhotoAlbum1.html>

well, *some* poeple can do amazing things in Photoshop :)

cheers
javier