[thechat] King Preaches Abstinence to Parading Maidens

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Wed Sep 11 13:27:01 CDT 2002

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tribal/images/photo/dancers.jpg

Brush Dance Ceremony; a healing ceremony that Yuroks, Karuks, Hupas,
and Tolowas do.

The girls must be virgins.  The community is small enough so that
it's pretty hard to spoof it, though it happens.

Traditionally they were bare-breasted but since the paradise was lost
(aka the arrival of Europeans) they were taught western shame and now
wear brassaires under their necklace regalia.

Also, girls and women should not be menstruating at the time of the ceremony.

The idea is that the purity of the young women adds a very powerful
medicine to the dance.

My niece is in her early 20's and can still dance.

I consider myself completely feminist and I say "right on" to these
girls.  Sexual energy is closely tied with spirituality and it's
important (for men and women both) to learn to manage these things.
& to not be ruled by impulse.  So they have a right to be proud.

I do sometimes wonder what role these ceremonies played in courtship
(of the type that should lead to marriage).  Because you're thoughts
are supposed to be very pure and spiritual, while surrounded by
beautiful half-naked bodies and listening to the beautiful singing...
there is an intense intimacy to the ceremony.  Family members tend to
dance together.  But people come from all different villages up &
down the river.

I always want my church to have circles, and dancing.  No hard pews &
long lectures for me, thank you.

Erika