[thechat] King Preaches Abstinence to Parading Bonobos

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Thu Sep 12 12:53:00 CDT 2002

Hi Matt,

{A quick "+1" on gibbon coolness! ... We won't talk about noisiness.
Or the fact that while they may _look_ like surfers I suspect they
may be a little hesitant around watersports.}    ;-)

Anyway ... as long as we're drifting off topic ... let me add another
monkey-wrench to the mental machinery around here ...

I was in a training class on Project Management the last few days.
One of the slides/topics that came up and was briefly discussed
dealt with Maslow's hierarchy of needs - that pyramid from physiological
needs up to 'self-actualization', remember those?

As usual, my attention wavered a bit and I wondered off into other
considerations.  Eventually turning to dwell on whether or not or
to what degree those needs derive from an evolutionary biology
perspective...

Not the usual 'fight or flight' stuff, but rather a musing on the
similarity between the "need for achievement" and the establishment
of pecking orders in pack animals.

I dunno. It was kinda interesting for a moment or two anyway.

RonL.