[thechat] King Preaches Abstinence to Parading Maidens

John Handelaar john at evolt.org.uk
Thu Sep 12 16:46:01 CDT 2002

% -----Original Message-----
% From: thechat-admin at lists.evolt.org
% [mailto:thechat-admin at lists.evolt.org]On Behalf Of Erika Meyer
% Sent: 12 September 2002 22:33
% To: thechat at lists.evolt.org
% Subject: RE: [thechat] King Preaches Abstinence to Parading Maidens
%
% >b)  That sociobiology thing doesn't represent the prevailing
% >     anthropological viewpoint anymore, and in any case if you go
% >     back to pre-'civilised' societies there's a compelling (and
% >     currently more prevalent) counter-viewpoint revolving around
% >     the shared raising of children within a community.  Given that,
% >     and assuming that those early women wanted more children,
%
% woah!  Each child requires a LOT of investment from a female, from
% pregnancy to childbirth, and if you survive that, there's the next 20
% years of heavy labor...

Sorry, I wasn't being clear - what I meant was that there's
a large amount of evidence to suggest a more kibbutz-ish
collective childrearing.  But, obviously, no more or less
than to support any other theory.

John Handelaar

T +44 20 8933 1494       M +44 7930 681789
F +44 870 169 7657   E john at userfrenzy.com