[thechat] King Preaches Abstinence to Parading Maidens

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Thu Sep 12 18:29:01 CDT 2002

>When the woman allows the man in, she takes the consequences.

My Catholic girlfriend said the priest used to tell her aunt:
"the sin comes out of the same place it goes in."

maybe that was a clever version of sex education.  I think it stinks
and if the Catholic clergy does not modernize its views it will be at
its own peril.

>| Women (in general) have a history of wishing to limit children.
>
>Erika, that is an outrageous claim.  No supporting evidence.  Gross
>over-generalization.

maybe I didn't articulate that well: some women want to have 10
children, sure... some do.  (the minority, I'd say...)

but most women want the right to choose that option, not have it
imposed upon them.  Thus, the fight for reproductive choice.

http://www.mtsu.edu/~kmiddlet/history/women/wh-birthcontrol.html

>| This has been a big point of contention in the past,
>| the right to control one's own fertility has been
>| something women have fought bitterly for.
>
>Oh my goodness.  Keep your legs closed, for Pete's sake.  Don't want kids?
>Don't have sex.  People have known this for __millenia__.

similarly, some methods of birth control and abortion have been
around for millennia.

>When the woman
>allows the man in, she takes the consequences.
>Sure, the man can run away later, and the woman is stuck with the
>child, but whose fault is that? Seems to me she did not make a very
>wise choice in whom to copulate with.

forgot to consult her magic 8-ball...
http://8ball.ofb.net/

>Rape is a different issue, but we were not talking about that.
>
>I know you are a feminist, Erika, but really, sometimes you are so
>exasperating.
>
>Jerome

yes & I'm still loving thechat!

Erika
(who sent her daughter to Catholic school last year...)