[thechat] spirit & religion

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Fri Sep 13 16:46:00 CDT 2002

I find the posts from Syed very interesting.

When the politics of government and religious power structures fall
away, and when we begin to talk about an honest practice of
spirituality within the structure of a religious teaching, what
amazes me is how much similarity ther is.

Different flowers on the same tree.

For example, the bringing together of people to pray, emphasis on
cleanliness, use of fasting and/or ritual meals... wearing of special
garments... just to name a few.

I don't worry about what god looks like, or what her name is.  But I
do know when I feel the presence.  It is an intuitive thing which
cannot be quantified, only experienced.

Certain rituals enhance awareness of ourselves in relation to others,
in relation to the spirit we all share.

Erika