[thechat] King Preaches Abstinence to Parading Maidens

Chris Marsh chris at webbtech.co.uk
Mon Sep 16 07:06:01 CDT 2002

> > > Muslims in any way. In Pakistan, "angraize" word is used for the
> > > whites of Europe and America without knowing it's real
> meaning. It
> > > means "Englishman" or "someone from England". It is used
> just for a
> > > recognition. It does not contain any intention of racial
> > > discrimination. All Africans are called
> >
> > So "angraize" is pretty much the same as "paki" in England?
> In other
> > words there is nothing inherently derogatory about it (paki being a
> > contraction of pakistani) but could be used in a derogatory
> fashion if
> > the user of the word had the intent to do so?
>
> The thing which matters is the emotions of the speaker of the
> word. White people in Pakistan, who know Urdu, don't take
> "angraize" offensive. Because they know we have no such

For something to be offensive, someone must take offense. If I refuse to
be offended by something that another person says to me, then they
cannot be being offensive.

[..]

> > You would have to
> > break down all borders and standardise all laws, education, prices,
> > standards of living etc. etc.
>
> Just imagine for a moment. Won't it be an ideal perfect world
> without any wars and other rubbish like that?

It would be good to have a world without wars would be good. But to have
a world where everythig was truly equal? A living hell.

> > I will have to call you on that. I have re-read all of the
> posts, and
> > nowhere can I find clear evidence of racial discrimination. Please
> > quote...
>
> I have noted that John posts flames for me very often and he
> knows about my racial background. It tempts me to think that
> he has some kind of racial discrimination in his mind. This

This is a ridiculous assertion, with all due respect. Maybe you are
over-sensitive. Maybe John just doesn't like you. Maybe John likes you,
but doesn't agree with anything you say. To claim with no basis
whatsoever that John practices racial discrimination borders on the
libellous.

> time also, he started to post flames.
> http://lists.evolt.org/thechatarchive/Week-of-Mon-20020909/361
2746.html

>His response was
> not aggressive, and is probably about as offensive to you as yours was

>to him.
>
> He began to post flames first and I had to reply them in the same way.

In your view he began to flame you, yet you posted first in the thread.
Therefore it is conceivable that you offended John before he offended
you.

> >My advice would be that if you make the decision to allow  yourself
> >become offended so easily, it may be better not to involve  yourself
in
> >debates.
>
> I did not asked John to post any reply to me. Erika wrote something
about

It is a public discussion.

>  Islam and in reply I tried to remove a misunderstanding about Islam.
I had
>  no idea that John would reply and the reply would be such an
offensive.
> Others also disagree and challenge my opinions but none of them uses
such
> offensive language like John does. I must expect flames from Madhu on
racial
> bases because he is an Indian and I am a Pakistani. However, Madhu has
never
> done so and he has been very friendly to me. That's why I like Madhu
and I
> never think about his nationality unless I am curious about something
in
> India (as a neighbouring country). I think Madhu is one of my best
friends
> in this forum.

Syed, you rock! ;)

Regards