[thechat] How to fill out UK job application forms - Round II

Tara Cleveland tara at taracleveland.com
Fri Sep 20 14:11:01 CDT 2002

John Handelaar wrote:
> % I just wanted to thank everyone who responded with advice. I finally
> % submitted the application yesterday. I guess I'll find out in the
> % next while
> % if I'll get an interview... I'll let you all know how it goes.
>
> Beervolt!

Count me in...

provided I actually *get* an interview and it's not a phone interview...

Yes. It's a very small, minuscule, miracle-like chance that I'll get the
job. I'll be surprised if I get an interview - not because I'm not
qualified, but because there's a good chance that there's internal people
wanting the job and I'm on the other side of the world and there's politics
involved and there's probably tons of people applying and and and and...

BTW, why do people always say "Don't get your hopes up"? It's invariably
*after* you've already got your hopes up and doesn't make you feel any
better. And anyway, if you didn't have your hopes up, why would you bother
doing anything that might make you hopeful that it would be successful? Like
applying for a job. People have been saying that to me all week. Bah Humbug!
Harumph! Grumble. Grumble.

Regards,
Tara