[thechat] Windows Phone Dialer help required

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Sat Sep 21 08:44:00 CDT 2002

John Handelaar wrote:
> [telelocation snippage]
>
> You can triangulate a mobile phone's location in relation
> to two base stations to within 20 feet.  Oft-used (but don't
> tell anyone because it's *highly* illegal) by hacks in the
> UK in conjunction with giving backhanders to network ops
> in order to get the right access codes.
>
> I've seen it done.  And of course I wanted it *badly*. :-)

The UK's telecoms infrastructure really is poo from a security standpoint.
I remember sitting with someone who shall remain nameless and placeless in
front of a laptop hooked up to a pager, and we sat watching *every* UK pager
message on that pager network scroll by ...

while particularly boring to read, and violating probably several parts of
the Telecommunications Act (and probably the Telecommunications (Fraud) Act
and the Electronic Communcations Act), I was both impressed and rather
fearful of how *trivial* it was to do ...

legal disclaimer: i didn't touch the laptop or the pager, i didn't do it,
no-one saw me do it, you can't prove anything :)

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________  "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \  for Sega." -- Brodie, 'Mallrats'