[thechat] disposable planet quiz

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Mon Sep 23 11:43:01 CDT 2002

Paul Cowan wrote:
> Australian football (for those who haven't seen it), was invented in
> the 1800s to give cricket players something to do to keep fit in the
> off season; it's probably most like Gaelic football, but very
> idiosyncratically Australian. Fast, free-flowing game, you're allowed
> to use your hands (in certain ways), no goalkeepers, looks like random
> thuggery but is actually VERY tactical.

I'd like to nominate part of the above for a new footer:

Evolt.org : looks like random thuggery but is actually VERY tactical.

And yes, Australian Rules Football (or ARF as I like to call it) does
indeed look like random thuggery to me.  I've watched several matches,
looked at explanatory websites, and I still don't really get it.  I will
say that rugby is catching on more and more in the northwestern u.s.  I
like watching a good rugby game now and then so I'm happy about that.

Judah