[thechat] Flaws in Cultures

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Wed Sep 25 18:56:00 CDT 2002

At 12:25 AM +0500 9/26/02, Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:
>  > Moshing.  It can be fun!   A nice cathartic release of emotion.
>
>Personally, just moshing without any rhythm in movement creates a bad feeling
>inside me. I have seen Michael Jackson dancing once or twice. He is simply a
>great dancer. His dance just grips the viewer not because its American but
>because its art, a great form of art.

"Moshing" is an activity, not an art ... I think you're meaning
something different when you describe flailing limb style dancing.

I recently heard some music from Pakistani which tried to emulate
"grunge rock" - it was god awful: it sounded like a something an
Urban Blues band of forty and fifty year olds would play if the
manager at the BBQ ribs place at which they have every tuesday
through thursday nights told them they had to play some grunge or
they'd loose their steady gigs.

Then again I'm not too much of a fan of heavy music produced after 1975.

>I'll always feel
>myself insecure in USA being a Pakistani and a Muslim.
>[...]
>My thoughts about insecure USA for Muslims is because of news media.
>Specially,
>www.bbc.co.uk/urdu.

Well, the link is in Urdu ... but you're certainly being paranoid.

I live in Minneapolis, and can't leave my apartment during the day
without seeing a dozen or so women wearing hijab, and can't go into a
single independently owned convenience store without buying something
from a Middle Easterner. Here is an article about the very visible
presence of Somali Muslims in Minneapolis:
<http://www.startribune.com/stories/1507/3238538.html>

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/