[thechat] Flaws in Cultures

Syed Zeeshan Haider szh at softhome.net
Thu Sep 26 05:05:05 CDT 2002

From: "Erik Mattheis"
To: <thechat at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: September 26, 2002, Thursday 4:54 AM
Subject: Re: [thechat] Flaws in Cultures

> I recently heard some music from Pakistani which tried to emulate
> "grunge rock" - it was god awful: it sounded like a something an
> Urban Blues band of forty and fifty year olds would play if the
> manager at the BBQ ribs place at which they have every tuesday
> through thursday nights told them they had to play some grunge or
> they'd loose their steady gigs.

Let me guess. Wasn't that "Junoon" group? It has three members Salman Ahmed, Ali
Azmat and Brian O'Connor. Brian is a white guy from New York and lives in
Pakistan. His wife is a Pakistani Christian and her name is Ayesha Aalam. She is
a TV actress. This group is famous for very violent music and it has done many
concerts in USA. Their music seems to me very arrhythmic and Ali Azmat (lead
vocalist of Junoon) dances like he is in some kind of severe pain. Junoon group
has both positive and negative fames in equal ratio.

> >www.bbc.co.uk/urdu.
>
> Well, the link is in Urdu ... but you're certainly being paranoid.

BBC has its own policy and the language does not affect that. Articles about
"anti-Muslim USA" can be found there both in English and Urdu. BBC Urdu Service
has criticized Pakistan in many ways and many times I feel offended by their
articles against Pakistan, however, I have never complained them.

> I live in Minneapolis, and can't leave my apartment during the day
> without seeing a dozen or so women wearing hijab, and can't go into a
> single independently owned convenience store without buying something
> from a Middle Easterner. Here is an article about the very visible
> presence of Somali Muslims in Minneapolis:
> <http://www.startribune.com/stories/1507/3238538.html>

Sorry, Hijab is not something to wear. Hijab means "hiding", it is a Practice.
It includes the hiding entire body of a woman except face, hands and feet. This
practice can be done in many ways. Women can use burqa, scarf, shawl,
shuttle-cock burqa, or whatever else they like. "Shuttle-cock burqa" is a type
of burqa popular in Afghanistan. "Shuttle-cock burqa" is a sarcastic term for it
as it looks like inverted shuttle-cock of badminton. It is not very popular in
Pakistan. . Some English writers refer to it as women in camps.
I am happy to hear about such freedom for Muslims in Minneapolis.

Syed Zeeshan Haider.
http://syedzeeshanhaider.faithweb.com/