[thechat] Flaws in Cultures

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Fri Sep 27 17:18:01 CDT 2002

At 8:53 PM +0500 9/27/02, Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:
>When our Interior Minister began campaign against extremists, his
>brother was killed as a punishment. Extremists want to use their extremism and
>terrorism to gain power as government like they did in Afghanistan
>as Talibaan.

Do you see any progress being made by the Interior Minister in
clamping down on extremists?

Is it a punishable crime to issue a fatwa or is it only actions that
are punished? I'd like to here more about this.

>This joke is famous here:
>Once a man kept sleeping until daylight. His old father woke him up and asked
>him to go to work. The man murmured something, turned his side and
>slept again.
>His father tried to wake him up again and said, "You try to imitate
>Americans in
>every aspect, they have reached to the moon, you can't reach even to your
>work-place in the morning".
>I think this joke is enough to express the reason of my reservations against
>Americanisation.

The joke is funny, but but only because it's an incorrect stereotype.

Certainly it's not true for females: most all American women of
working age have jobs outside of the home, making up nearly half of
the American work force ... only about a quarter of the workers in
Pakistan are female EXEL spreadsheet:
<http://devdata.worldbank.org/hnpstats/files/Tab2_2.xls>.

People in lower income brackets here often have two and even three
jobs, working 60-70 hours a week or more. It's also common people in
higher income brackets like executives and lawyers to work 60-70
hours a week.

The average American has more purchasing power than the people of any
other country in the world
<http://www.worldbank.org/data/databytopic/GNIPC.pdf> except for a
couple dinky (and very Westernized) countries.

Do you think Americans became so rich from being LAZY?

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/