[thechat] Data quality heaven...

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Fri Sep 27 19:52:00 CDT 2002

David wrote:
>New Zealand has a tradition of long names, currently holding the official
>(Guinness) record for the longest *place* name in common use:
>
>Taumatawhakatangihangakoauotamateturipukakapikimaungahoro-Nukupokaiwhenua
>kitanatahu
>
>which translates as the 'place where Tamatea, the man with the big knees,
>who slid, climbed and swallowed mountains, known as land-eater, played his
>flute to his loved one'. Those wacky Kiwis! Gotta love it.

looks like a location name, not a person's name.  That's kind of a
cool name, actually.

>Thailand has a longer city name --
>
>Krungthep Mahanakhon Bovorn Ratanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokpop
>Noparatratchathani Burirom Udomratchanivet Mahasathan Amornpiman
>Avatarnsathit Sakkathattiyavisnukarmprasit
>
>-- which means the 'City of Angels'.

ah, Los Angeles!

>It's not an official record, though,
>because the locals call it Krungthep Mahanakhon. We boring Westerners call
>it Bangkok.

Bangkok, bang cock, Los Angeles, it's all kind of the same, isn't it?
They are both cities of lost angels.

And Las Vegas is the city of Lost Wages.

others?

(I imagine most longer names have shorter versions for common use.)