[thechat] US criticised over Muslim checks

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Wed Oct 2 18:40:00 CDT 2002

At 7:51 PM +0500 10/2/02, Syed Zeeshan Haider wrote:
>  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2290602.stm
>
>What would you call it?
>
>Security Concerns or Anti-Muslim Hysteria?

The policy spoken of is called "Security Concerns" ... I don't
believe North Korea or Cuba have a whole lot of Muslims in them!

The article itself is too scattershot to really make anything of - it
mixes up accusations of unfairly targeting an entire religion because
of a minority fringe within it with accusations of unfairly targeting
an entire country due to the country being predominately Muslim. It
speaks of everything from people in Islamabad feeling shunned by the
US after they helped topple the Taliban and also speaks of American
Muslims feeling discriminated against. What does the "Muslim world"
mean when quoted in the side bar - people who follow Islam, or all
countries that are mostly Muslim?

At 12:20 PM -0400 10/2/02, Frey wrote:
>So what's the logical decision?... narrow down the scope to countries that
>have hostilities towards the U.S. (or countries that produce people that
>have hostilities towards the U.S.)

Richard Reid is British, and John Walker Lindh and Jose Padilla are
(gasp!) American.

The same White House administration that's holding Padilla and scores
of people in Guantanamo Bay - without the means to prove their
innocence - also holds organized daily Bible study, Ashcroft is fond
of invoking God at every opportunity.

Religious extremism is the real enemy.

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272