[thechat] US criticised over Muslim checks

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Thu Oct 3 11:41:00 CDT 2002

Hi Ken,

Yep - I've had to take belt and shoes off too!  It annoys me a lot.

{Flying out of Houston last month the a**hole with the wand kept it
beeping over the left side of my chest.  I explained that I don't
have a bleeping pacemaker yet. Wanker just poked harder. Yeah buddy,
that's gonna work REAL WELL. Must be a certified safety technician.}

I agree with the rest of what you said - but two quick notes:

(1) I disagree.  I think there *is* profiling involved.  In both cases
I was the first person pulled aside for the second security check.  I
watched the security folks looking around before they picked me. My
guess is that they feel they have to start with a white middle aged
guy in order to avert charges of 'profiling' or 'discrimination'.

(2) I do take offense ... primarily at the insinuation that travelors
like myself are expected to believe that these half-assed measures are
actually improving security.  IMHO it's all "sizzle" and no "steak".

The question is "why"?  Is it an accounting matter - operating expense
is easier to impact than balance sheet side security investments?  Is
it "PR" - a visible show that they are "doing something"?  Is it
"lobbying" - deliberately annoying their consumers in order to gain
support for government intervention?

Disgruntled Flyer,

RonL.