[thechat] US criticised over Muslim checks

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Thu Oct 3 11:59:00 CDT 2002

>  > No offence, it seems that USA government still
>>  has some kind of sympathy for Osama, that's why
>>  he is still at large.
>
>No way. The former mayor of New York (Rudy Guiliani, who was mayor on
>9/11) makes no qualms about the fact that he asked Prez Bush if he could
>be the one to execute Osama if he got brought in alive.
>
>I can't speak on behalf of the entire government, but I'm reasonably
>certain that no one *I* elected is a big fan of bin Laden...

A common perception in parts of the world is that bin Laden is still
a CIA operative.

>  > > The US has kept its doors wide open to
>>  > peoples of all nationalities for centuries.
>
>>  Not for humans, but for man power.
>>  This was for America's own interest.
>
>   "Give me your tired, your poor,
>    your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
>    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
>    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
>    I lift my lamp beside the golden door."
>
>Doesn't sound like we're looking for chear labor...

Hmmm ... that saying is only meaningful if you're already American
... if one is not, and especially if one dislikes the US, it just
seems like sentimental fluff.

But the reality behind the fluff is meaningful: tired, poor masses
ARE let in "for America's own interest" ... but the thing is that
immigrants are Americans themselves. Yes, we have our share of bigots
and pudding heads here, but they're a minority: our influx of
immigrants _add_ to the economy and _create_ jobs.

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/