[thechat] US criticised over Muslim checks

Hugh Blair hblair at hotfootmail.com
Thu Oct 3 13:19:00 CDT 2002

I had to remove my jacket and shoes and stand on a cold floor
in the middle of winter. They took my photograph, my hand
prints, and a copy of my passport. So what? It inconvenienced
me a bit - I was held up about 45 minutes - but since I had
nothing to hide, I just took it in stride. I wasn't insulted.
I didn't feel descriminated against because I was an American.
In fact, they were a little upset that I saw it as somewhat
funny and a waste of their time.

NOTE: I found it interesting that they took a print of each
full hand instead of just fingerprints. They were quite good
at it and the prints were very clear. They then scanned them
into a computer (US made!) and I couldn't leave until they
were satisfied that the stored images were clear.

> > > It's been fairly well demonstrated that the US is willing to
> > > arrest citizens of other countries for "crimes" committed
> > > in other countries, where the actions in question are legal.
> > > I have no idea of US legal codes, and may routinely break
> > > US law on a day to day basis.
> >
> > It's *your* responsibility to know and live within local
> > laws. I don't understand your first sentence, but yes,
> > country #1 can arrest a person for committing a crime in
> > country #2. There are reciprocal agreements between most
> > countries that allow this.
>
> But I DO understand Drew's first sentence. He means USA can
> ask for a man who committed some crime in Pakistan AGAINST
> Pakistan (not USA). That is clearly unjust and unacceptable.
> No reciprocal agreement contains such conditions. In such
> case USA uses it's influence of being a Super Power. USA
> can threat an entire country just for one guy.
> E.g. Saddam & Iraq.

Wrong. There are agreements between many countries that allow
the expulsion of a person to their native country if they
have broken laws in their homeland, even if those laws aren't
the same in the country being visited. Why shouldn't we
respect your laws? Should you be able to break some law at
your home, not get caught, travel to the US, and then if
found, be able to stay here and escape your justice system?
In general, I don't see this as a good thing. Why should I
want you to stay here if you're a possible criminal? NOT.
Go home. Face your justice system.

There are exceptions to this - mostly in the case of
civil rights issues - but in most cases, countries should
respect other counties laws.

Hugh