[thechat] US criticised over Muslim checks

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Fri Oct 4 09:19:00 CDT 2002

At 04:38 AM 10/4/2002, you wrote:
>At 13:18 03/10/2002 -0500, Hugh Blair wrote:
>>Wrong. There are agreements between many countries that allow
>>the expulsion of a person to their native country if they
>>have broken laws in their homeland, even if those laws aren't
>>the same in the country being visited. Why shouldn't we
>>respect your laws? Should you be able to break some law at
>>your home, not get caught, travel to the US, and then if
>>found, be able to stay here and escape your justice system?
>>In general, I don't see this as a good thing. Why should I
>>want you to stay here if you're a possible criminal? NOT.
>>Go home. Face your justice system.
>
>   This is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about circumstances
>where an event takes place in country X, with the main agent being a
>citizen of country X.  This event is legal in country X, but illegal in the
>US. When the agent enters the US, s/he is arrested.
>
>   Offhand, I can point at one major example of this, and I'm fairly sure
>that with minimal searching, I can find more.

Except, to play devil's advocate for a moment, the example that I'm sure
you're thinking of involved a person trying to sell a product derived from
the illegal event within U.S. territory, which might be legal to perform
and sell in country X but it is not legal to do either in the U.S.

Which is similar to why it is still illegal to sell a Taiwanese bootleg of
Spider-Man in Chinatown, even though the bootleg wasn't created stateside.

--Ben