[thechat] Calling All Audiophiles

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sun Oct 6 14:11:00 CDT 2002

On Sun, 6 Oct 2002, Ken Kogler wrote:

> Any audio geeks on thechat?
>
> I need to get new speakers for my computer. I'm not looking for Dolby
> 5.1, but I do want a powerful system with wide dynamic range. I don't
> have brand loyalty in any way, but what I'm NOT looking for is one of
> those Creative Labs 6 speaker packages that's got the tiny satellite
> speakers in it... Those don't have nearly the range or quality I'm
> looking for.
Can't speak exactly for those ones, but tiny satellite speakers (as long
as they're *additional* to your main ones) have a lot going for them even
without being that good..

The reason is that the ear gets far more stereo information from
high-frequencies than low ones (that's why you don't need stereo
sub-woofers as you don't get much difference from the 2 channels).

So if the satellite speakers are just tiny tweeters for high-frequency
sound, you can get a much more powerful stereo experience, even though the
satellite speakers don't sound up to much on their own. They don't need
much range - all they're doing is the top frequency end for stereo effect.

> I was thinking more along the lines of buying two near-field studio
> monitors and a stereo amp...
>
> Any suggestions for a bitchen computer speaker setup?

Sub-woofer. Alternatively, if your system has stereo outs, why not get a
*real* set of speakers (2 or 3 way crossover) from your local hi-fi
dealer..

Cheers
Martin