[thechat] baseball rules

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Sun Oct 6 23:45:00 CDT 2002

Thanks for the help, but I'm still left wondering what happened.
Thinking that it just went to the bottom of the inning and having the
ump determine the A's were still at bat thirty seconds after everyone
started to leave the field. Maybe they cut to the commercial break
before the  confusion started and those watching on TV missed a few
pitches.

The odd thing is that the home plate ump - who is responsible for
calling foul balls, right? - had to confer with the first base ump
before making the call ... this made me think that a caught foul tip
is not an out on the third strike or something and he had too  check
with the first base ump to be sure of the rule.

Then again, maybe on TV it was obvious the catcher dropped the ball,
but the home plate ump asked the first base ump "He did drop the
ball, didn't  he?"

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/