[thechat] Recipe: Laab Kai (Thai hot n' sour chicken salad)

Bob Davis bob at bobdavis.org
Tue Oct 8 07:35:09 CDT 2002

At 11:33 PM -0500 10/7/02, Ken Kogler wrote:
>  > BTW, anyone interested if I were to post more recipes here? Or is it
>too
>>  off-topic?
>
>Personally, I'd *love* to see more recipies, especially if FEO has
>died...

Part of the job I just got involves posting recipes to our web site
from our chefs. We have a very good restaurant - one of the top 3 in
San Antonio. The most recent recipe (yesterday) is squash blossom
soup with huitlacoche.  You can have a look here:

	<http://www.lamansion.com/recipes/index.cfm?fuseaction=pro_CategoryView&catUniqueCode=RECIP>

Yeah - I know it's a heinous URL. Sorry. It's not my fault.

The soup is *very* good. You might have issues finding the
huitlacoche (aka corn smut) outside Mexico. It is starting to show up
in some of the better, more adventurous restaurants here in the US,
but it's still pretty rare to see as food, considering that the USDA
(our agriculture department/ministry) has been trying for years to
eradicate it.  Trust me - it tastes awesome.

More on huitlacoche here:
	http://www.halfmoon.org/story/smut.html

It is yet another delicacy that sounds disgusting until you have it.

bob
--
bob davis
bob at bobdavis.org