[thechat] Fried Twinkies.

Joe Crawford joe at artlung.com
Tue Oct 15 14:40:00 CDT 2002

Re: Diets.

I'm on the "eat much less and walk and sometimes exercise" plan. Highly
recommended over and above anything else.

So far it has worked well for me.

I make an emphasis of protein, but Atkins level mania for it seems wonky
to me. I occasionally eat crap (had a chocolate shake the other night)
which is in keeping with reality, sometimes I'm going to want to eat or
drink things that are bad for me. But in the main, paying a bit more
attention to what I eat has been wonderful. 70 pounds in 5 months.
(31.75kg for you futuristic metric systemers). I still weigh far too
much - at 295 pounds (133.8kg). I could easily lose another 100 pounds,
and it looks like I probably will. Though I get a sense that I'm just a
large fellow regardless -- If I were at 220 I think I'd be in a very
kick ass zone in terms of fitness.

Now, I've pretty much /always/ been overweight, this is not something
that hit me later in life - and I saw something interesting on some tv
show - a guy who looked like me, but who ran like 5 miles a day and had
a resting heart rate of 60 or something. He felt great and was in peak
health, other than looking overweight. I've no conceit that that's my
situation (I'm improved, but really don't consider myself in good shape,
just /better/ shape) - but I found it interesting - no FASCINATING -
that one could have what amounted to a pudgy frame and yet be in great
cardiovascular shape.

anyway, those are my rambling thoughts on ovesity.

And yes Madhu, we're obese. Lots of TV plus lots of food = obesity.

I'm also watching less TV, did I mention that?

	- Joe <http://artlung.com/>