[thechat] Fried Twinkies.

David Wagner dave at worlddomination.net
Wed Oct 16 17:34:01 CDT 2002

Matt Plunkett wrote:

> Yes we are. :P
>
> I'm guessing you were using a little hyperbole here, but...no.  Diet is
not
> the only thing (in fact, not one of the things) that determines whether or
> not a species is a primate.  The fact that we can decide what to eat does
> not change our skeletal structure, our genes, our musculature, our
> intelligence, and so on.  Well, at least not in the next few millenia.

Scientifically speaking, I can agree with you. We haven't superceded the
whole primate order.

Philosophically, though, it's a different story. Our concept of what
primates are, and what they do as life forms on this planet, doesn't mesh
anymore with what we are and what we do.

Anyway, my point was more about how we, as humans, relate to the world very
differently than any animal species ever has, by many orders of magnitude.

--

David Wagner
dave at worlddomination.net