[thechat] Daft mistake sees Booker Prize 'winner' named

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Thu Oct 17 21:42:00 CDT 2002

Hah, I bet that we all understand how this will have happened...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/justin/nat/newsnat-18oct2002-31.htm

---

Daft mistake sees Booker Prize 'winner' named

Organisers of Britain's prestigious Booker Prize for literature have been
left red-faced after they accidentally named one of the short-listed
candidates as the winner.

An announcement on the prize's official website said Canadian writer Yann
Martel had won for his book Life of Pi, even though the judges have not met
and are not due to do so until next Tuesday.

"We write six press releases in advance and then release one of them when
the judges make their decision.

"One of the releases was being sent to a development website as a test but
unfortunately it was accidentally sent to a site which could be seen by the
public.

---