[thechat] Digicam woes

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Wed Oct 30 08:36:01 CST 2002

Madhu,

> The problem is that the Zoombrowser software that's supposed to connect to
> the digicam and download the pics now refuses to even detect the digicam
> plugged into the USB port.

I've got an Elph (S110) and Canon's "Zoombrowser" is one of the
most braindead pieces of software ever inflicted on humanity. IMHO.
The inability to supply reasonable "error" messages for predictable
situations like low camera battery level instead of things like:
"It is illegal to call out while inside message filter" (!?) ....
gah, don't get me started.

Mine also abruptly stopped recognizing the camera a while back and
after a very short bit of futzing around I just gave up and bought
a CF card reader.

For about US$20 I can now simply pop the card out of the camera and
plug it in to the reader and have the files on a virtual drive. It's
also a better solution if you have more than one device that uses a
CF card.

If the reader weren't an option, I would probably try uninstalling
the Canon S/W and reinstall. But I'm happier not dealing with it at
all. YMMV :-)

Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.