[thechat] English Language Terms

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 30 09:52:01 CST 2002

> > I have noticed Americans using the word "rooster" for
> > male hen. Likewise, the word "bitch" was supposed to be used for a
> > female dog but in real word, this word is being used for a whore.
> > There are many words of which we have to take care before using
> > because their meanings can be different for the listener or the
> > reader. What do you think? Do you know any such words?

missed original post...

i would suggest that you continue to refer to a male chicken as a
rooster... the other word that can mean rooster, cock, can have
some nasty connotations in nearly every context...

and bitch doesn't quite mean whore... at least not around here... it
has multiple meanings... when referring to a woman, it means
uppity, confrontational (hell, even strong-willed and free-thinking)...
some women i know take it as a compliement...

calling a guy a bitch in the same context is designed to call his
sexuality into question as well...

bitch can also mean that someone is at the mercy of someone
else... for instance, if i make you my bitch in a sport, i've just
crushed you in some play where i came out looking great and you
didn't...

the context can also mean that a woman is someone's 'girlfriend,'
although it tends to imply more of a beaten down partner than
anything...

ahh, bitch, the myriad of meanings...

so, how many chilis for you eudora users?

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself