[thechat] US Elections

Ken Kogler ken.kogler at curf.edu
Wed Nov 6 19:28:01 CST 2002

> vaccinating against certain things is, in my mind, a perfectly
reasonable
> thing to request of somebody who wishes to attend school, a common
resource

> i have no problem with government legislating stuff like that, because
it's
> a common resource, and letting infectious kids loose in a school
environment
> is an extremely hostile thing for a parent to do (and it's the
parent's
> fault, make no mistake) and the rest of us deserve to be protected
against
> shit like that
>
> does that make me anti-libertarian?

Anti-libertarian? No. Level-headed? Yes.

Partisan politics scare me -- "I know voting this proposition through
the Senate is The Right Thing To Do (tm), but the
Republicans/Democrats/etc are all voting it down, so I better do the
same to keep my party's funding..."

That's ridiculous. It's about ideas, not parties.

I always try to vote for the candidate who seems to have the most common
sense and the one who says HOW he's going to accomplish something rather
than just spouting off pipedreams...

I think the USA will reach a point where most people start feeling the
same way -- tired of the Republicans, tired of the Democrats, tired of
partisan politics and special interest groups... I just pray it happens
sooner rather than later.

<slightly OT>
  Anyone read Tom Clancy's books? His opinions about
  politics in general and the specifically the Presidency
  are outstanding -- politics is a service, and a
  privilege, not a career -- and that it should be
  sacrificial in nature as opposed to what it has become.
</slightly OT>

Thanks for letting me ramble a bit...

--Ken