[thechat] US Elections

Kath Kath at cyber-kat.com
Thu Nov 7 05:33:01 CST 2002

At 07:27 PM 11/6/2002 -0600, Ken wrote:

>I think the USA will reach a point where most people start feeling the
>same way -- tired of the Republicans, tired of the Democrats, tired of
>partisan politics and special interest groups... I just pray it happens
>sooner rather than later.

Actually, I think we've reached this point.  I think it's one of the main
reasons for voter apathy.

Most times I'm not voting for a candidate, but against the other guy.  I
didn't vote *for* Al Gore - I voted *against* George Bush (fat lot of good
that did me :-( )

In this recent election, I had a choice of the Democrat Frank Lautenberg,
who was a last minute substitute for the corrupt Bob Toricelli who dropped
out of the race, and Doug Forrester a Bush Republican.  I didn't like
Lautenberg when he was our Senator before, so I certainly wasn't going to
vote for him, and I didn't want to send Bush anymore Republicans to support
his agenda.

So in protest, I voted for the Green Party candidate - because I knew he
wouldn't win.  I could have written in "None of the Above" - we have that
option in NJ, but it didn't seem worth it.

At least my district in NJ didn't send any more Bush supporters to
Washington.  Both Democrats won the election.

There's not much more you can do, unless you're a millionaire - but that
didn't help independent candidate Tom Golisano in his bid for governor of NY.

Kath ...
Me --> www.cyber-kat.com
work --> www.winebow.com