[thechat] Cable access reliability

Hugh Blair hblair at hotfootmail.com
Thu Nov 7 09:39:03 CST 2002

> What I'd like to know is whether such problems occur in the
> US/UK as well. If you're on a cable connection, how much
> downtime do you have?

AT&T Broadband in Chicago:
Seldom down, but when it is, it may be for 2-8 hours. Speed
down is 6-800, up is about 2-300 to keep you from running a
server. I don't see speed any different during various times,
it's fairly consistant when running. Down periods may be once
a month, or 3 days in a row, or none for 3 months; real
spotty. Generally, I'm happy with the connectivity, the up
speed sucks. We used to have Excite at home and they averaged
almost T1 speed round trip, 24/7. AT&T turned on the throttle
when they took over.  Cost: US$ 45.95/month.

Of course I have dial-up for redundancy. I needed it last week
when I had to do a 4 hour online session with a client. It
sucked, but they also were on dial-up so we didn't really
suffer that much. Thankfully it came up just before my next
session with a client on DSL.

Hugh