[thechat] US Elections

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Thu Nov 7 12:27:00 CST 2002

>letting infectious kids loose in a school environment
>is an extremely hostile thing for a parent to do (and it's the parent's
>fault, make no mistake) and the rest of us deserve to be protected against
>shit like that

yeah.

But I got punished for staying home to take care of a strep-throat
child.  Didn't have sick days first 3 months of work.  Got my
probation extended for taking a sick day when I didn't have one
available.  Told them "just don't pay me for those days."  No, they
just extended my probation which meant I still didn't have sick days.

well I did the right thing, but I got punished for it.  The sick days
were being used by my boss as an excuse to harass me at work, but it
was all perfectly legal.

So maybe we should start considering stuff like that.  If we don't
want parents sending sick kids to school, maybe we should consider
that some parents need protection to take care of sick kids without
fear of loosing their job.

As I recall, the US family medical leave act is only valid after
you've been on that job for a year or more.  So the most vulnerable
(like those just off welfare) are most at risk for getting canned for
having a sick kid.

And, considering the state of public schools, lots of us would *love*
to send our kids to private schools.  That's not a choice most people
have.

Erika