[thechat] US Elections

Plunkett, Matt MPlunkett at MSA.com
Thu Nov 7 13:55:22 CST 2002

Hrm, your question's lack of a prompt response probably means that everyone,
like me, was carefully gauging what to put together. :)

Instead of telling you all the things I dislike about Republicans, I'll tell
you what I think is good about democrats...hopefully others on the list will
throw out things that are nice about the other guys.

In general, democrats are for more education, more health benefits, and more
rights for people who don't make tons of money.  They believe that gov't has
an important role in a citizen's life, and that there isn't a valid reason
for things like the ridiculously high rate of illiteracy, ignorance, and
squalor that exists in the US.

Democrats also tend to be pro-choice, advocate sex education, and are more
likely to not be critical of "alternative" life styles.

Democrats also tend to be more wary of going to war.

Unfortunately to me, democrats are kind of wimpy at the moment.  Most
democratic politicians are moderates, while there are many republican
politicians that are far right-leaning (GWB for example).

-----Original Message-----
From: Madhu Menon [mailto:webguru at vsnl.net]
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 2:35 PM
To: thechat at lists.evolt.org
Subject: Re: [thechat] US Elections

At 12:55 AM 08-11-02, Erik Mattheis wrote:
>Despite the fact that Libertarians base their beliefs on the Founding
>Fathers', they are quite fringe

Thanks Erik.

Coming from someone who doesn't live in USA, forgive me if this next
question sounds too dumb...

What are the major philosophical, ideological, and policy differences
between Democrats and Republicans?

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
Internet User Experience Consultant

Content * Interfaces * Usability * Net Strategy