[thechat] Cable access reliability

David Wagner dave at worlddomination.net
Thu Nov 7 15:32:00 CST 2002

Madhu asked:

> > What I'd like to know is whether such problems occur in the
> > US/UK as well. If you're on a cable connection, how much
> > downtime do you have?

Hugh replied:

> AT&T Broadband in Chicago:
> Seldom down, but when it is, it may be for 2-8 hours.

Interesting -- I have exactly the opposite problem. It's rarely down for
more than 30 minutes, but I notice it at least a few times a week.

I'm stuck with AT&T BI because Qwest won't upgrade our phone lines for DSL,
despite promising three times (with three different deadlines) in the last
12 months. Last time I called their sales folks, a couple of months ago, the
guy told me that they should have aDSL available at my house within a month.
When I told him that two other reps had already promised me the same thing,
and it didn't happen, he told me that I must be mistaken. I laughed at him,
hung up, and waited another few weeks for AT&T to upgrade our cable.

So, despite getting the poorest quality of service I can possibly imagine
for "broadband", and paying through the nose for it, I'm happier than I was
with an Earthlink dialup.

--

David Wagner
dave at worlddomination.net