[thechat] US Elections

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Thu Nov 7 16:03:01 CST 2002

Ben Dyer wrote:
>Democrats are traditionally liberal.  They believe in helping people and
>equality for all and their policies reflect that

(paternalistic attitude)

>   - Not Against Business, but they aren't going to trample people to
>support it

off the top:

- NAFTA
- WTO

A democrat is the kind of person who wants to change the minimum wage
from total starvation level to only partial starvation level.  And
say, "see how I helped you?"

>  - Support the woman's right to choose, equality for minorities and
>homosexuals, etc.

I can't even believe "right to choose" is still an issue.

>   - Very pro-environment (although not as much as the Green Party),

I would delete the adjective "very."  They compromise all over the
place here just as on social justice issues.   They're pretty much
running defense, evasive action, damage control.  Who was the last
democrat to push hard for alternative energy sources?  Jimmy Carter?

You got to kiss up to the big shot donors, if you want to get elected.

>government must limit pollution from businesses and cars.

okay, guys, try not to pollute so much, please?

>No drilling for oil in the Arctic Wildlife Refuge, restrictions on
>logging, supportive of programs to protect endangered species.

yeah I guess being against the complete destruction of our last
remaining wild areas and being sort of against the mass poisoning of
air earth and water is somehow "very pro-environment."

>   - Tends to support loosening restrictions on drugs, medicinal marijuana,
>but this is not always the case)

depends on what the polls are showing...

>   - Mostly doesn't want to go to war with Iraq

but they will anyway.

>Primarily, Democrats are the party of...well...just about everyone else:
>minorities (African Americans, Latinos),

The democrats like to believe this but I think it's less true than
you'd think.  Fact is most democratic candidates are still
paternalistic white male do-gooder liberals who do not necessarily
understand the needs of "everyone else."  How many of them came from
the working class they claim to support?  Sheesh at least Clinton was
raised by a single mother.

I think many minorities that support democrats do so because they are
the less bad than the republicans.  Of course, many non-whites don't
vote at all.

I am doubtful that any US president can keep much integrity while
caught up in the big money political game.

Erika