Defining the Parties (was [thechat] US Elections)

rudy rudy937 at rogers.com
Thu Nov 7 18:07:05 CST 2002

> What are the major philosophical, ideological, and policy
> differences between Democrats and Republicans?

as a canadian, i'm not an authority on american parties, but i believe they
line up pretty squarely with the conservative and liberal parties here in
canada

here's the difference in a nutshell:

republican = conservative = what you own belongs to you

democrat = liberal = what you own belongs to everyone else

here's another way to look at it:

republicans/conservatives want to give their money away as they see fit

democrats/liberals want to give away *your* money away as they see fit

oversimplification, perhaps?

and when are we gonna have somebody post the "you have two cows..." stories?

rudy