[thechat] US Elections

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Fri Nov 8 03:56:01 CST 2002

At 22:47 07/11/2002 +0000, Martin Burns wrote:
>Michael Collins? Clear terrorist until after the foundation of
>the Irish Free State.

   And, I'd like to point out, only now regarded as a hero, or indeed,
anything other than a headcase by, well, headcases. Movies aside. The
beginnings of the Republic are littered with such people, though - in a
later era, Eamonn de Valera would have been on medication from an early
age. (Try the words "Dancing at the crossroads" and see Irish people grin
apologetically).

   Actually, I was once aided by another long-haired, leather-coated bloke
in black  to physically throw one of the afore mentioned headcases off a
bus. He had cornered two black girls and was shouting "This is our country!
Michael Collins! Mi-kul Coll-ins!". So we threw him off the bus and got a
round of applause from the rest of the bus. It still bugs me that the rest
of the bus didn't do anything, they just sort of stared out the windows
before we moved.

   Drew.

Drew Shiel                               webmaster at swiftpay.com
                                                     +353-1-2365705