[thechat] Audio Ripping from LPs Question

Seb seb at members.evolt.org
Fri Nov 8 20:19:00 CST 2002

At 01:56 09/11/2002, you wrote:
> > Any recommendations on the 'best', 'easiest', or 'cheapest' way
> > for me to rip my vinyl collection and make some drive-time mix CDs?
>
>step 1 - get a vinyl record player
>
>check
>
>step 2 - have records that aren't scratched all to shit
>
>uh oh

Hmm, currently I can't make it past step 1, due to selling my decks some
time back.

However, you would normally follow a 12 step program similar to this:

1 + 2, as rudy says.

3. If you're using a mixer, connect the line out to your soundcard's line
in. (Try and avoid headphones to mic if you possibly can.) Otherwise, your
deck's line out should suffice.

4. Open your favourite WAV recording software. If you're the kind of geek
to have decent software for this task, then you're probably not reading
this, but even Windows Sound Recorder (Start > Programs >
Accessories > Entertainment > Sound Recorder ). I don't know what you'd use
on a Mac, and I really don't care ;-)

5. Press record, and start your record playing.

6. Check that the sound recording levels are ok. You might need to open
your volume control panel and adjust the recording volume for the line in.
Keep fiddling until the levels are acceptable.

7. Stop the recording and discard.

8. Reset the needle, press record, and away you go.

9. Stop at the end of the track.

10. Save the WAV file.

11. Optional step : Go to file > properties with your wav file open, choose
an alternative format and sample rate, and hit convert to get your file in
a different format. (This might be XP only.)

12. Burn em.

This is the cheapest, dirties way to do it. When I did this I was mixing
tracks together, and went for a bit of cleaning up on the sound afterwards.
There are a number of decent articles on more advanced techniques around,
just google them.

- seb